Saturday, November 12, 2011

Scarlet Letter D.J. # 33 - Chapter 17: Part 1.

"“I do forgive you, Hester,” replied the minister, at length, with a deep utterance out of an abyss of sadness, but no anger. “I freely forgive you now. May God forgive us both! We are not, Hester, the worst sinners in the world. There is one worse than even the polluted priest! That old man’s revenge has been blacker than my sin. He has violated, in cold blood, the sanctity of a human heart. Thou and I, Hester, never did so!" (pg. 170 3rd paragraph) 
I think it is ironic that Chillingworth is torturing Dimmesdale for his sin, while getting revenge is an even worse sin in this case. Chillingworth knows that, but he does not need the forgiveness from god like Dimmesdale. He is not as faithful, but I don't think Dimmesdale understands how a person can be so evil, how is intentions could be so dark.

1 comment:

  1. Is Hawthorne suggesting that "revenge" is the worse sin (or perhaps only sin - note Hawthorne isn't so hard on either Hester or Dimmesdale. There sin in his eyes isn't Adultery - its not coming forward or being honest about what happened to themselves).

    ReplyDelete