Sunday, November 13, 2011

Scarlet Letter D.J. # 38 - Chapter 19: Part 2.

“Thou canst not think,” said the minister, glancing aside at Hester Prynne, “how my heart dreads this interview, and yearns for it! But, in truth, as I already told thee, children are not readily won to be familiar with me. They will not climb my knee, nor prattle in my ear, nor answer to my smile; but stand apart, and eye me strangely. Even little babes, when I take them in my arms, weep bitterly. Yet Pearl, twice in her little lifetime, hath been kind to me! The first time,—thou knowest it well! The last was when thou ledst her with thee to the house of yonder stern old Governor.” (pg. 181 2nd paragraph)
Children are innocent and pure, and can feel his corruption and his secret. The kids of the town are all influenced from their parent's aspects of Hester's situation or sin. They have a better capability of picking up on unusual things in life at a young age because they don't have as many responsibilities as their parents. Pearl, however, already knows of Dimmesdale's hidden sin, so she is able to be kind to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment