Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Scarlet Letter D.J. # 42 - Chapter 20: Part 2.

"“What is it that haunts and tempts me thus?” cried the minister to himself, at length, pausing in the street, and striking his hand against his forehead. “Am I mad? or am I given over utterly to the fiend? Did I make a contract with him in the forest, and sign it with my blood? And does he now summon me to its fulfilment, by suggesting the performance of every wickedness which his most foul imagination can conceive?”" (pg. 192 3rd paragraph)
Even though Hester and Dimmesdale have come up with a way to get out of this town and be together, it doesn't mean that what they plan to do is right. His sin still haunts him. If he goes to Europe he will just be hiding his sin in Europe. The sin will forever haunt Dimmesdale until he has forgiven himself, and expressed the truth to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - the sin will haunt Dimmesdale until he has forgiven himself and there is only one way that will hapen.

    ReplyDelete